Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Firefox 4 - A waste of time!

I installed Firefox 4 this evening. At least it was this evening. It's now after 10pm. I've spent the last 2 hours installing add-on after add-on to get it back to a reasonably useable state. Here's what it changed/removed/added:
Now I understand that themes are likely to be different and that some extensions might not work yet (partially why I waited sooooo long) but this is nuts. It's taken me over two hours to get this thing back to something which vaguely resembled my personal settings. To have to install an extension to get the title bar back is just plain stupid.

I know that new editions of things usually make some changes but some of these are fundamental. The 'save and quit' button for example is firefox's trademark. Why they'd get rid of it is beyond me! Personally I HATE theme changes. Basic updates I understand but people get used to how something looks. It should be a chosen option - include the new theme or save the old one and just make the basic changes. We all want to save time and continually learning a new layout is plain irritating and idiotic!

Result: Firefox 4's layout and interaction sucks!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey im reading ur blog and posting on mine again! So yeah I don't get why companies dont keep the core awesomeness of their programs intact- afterall, they are the reasons we use them! Shame on firefox, it always was a fave amongst so many people. They will learn :D

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My Photo

Changing my email address to something more generic. Old one will be phased out gradually.